How To Root LG Optimus G Pro E980 & Install CWM Recovery
LG Optimus G Pro E980 comes to give tough time to successful Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Most latest Android device by LG isn’t known for developer friendly. However, the good news is, LG Optimus G Pro E980 can now be rooted easily and what’s more – you can install CWM recovery on it to enjoy custom ROMs and Mods. Root also necessary to extract most out of LG Optimus G Pro E980. With root you can easily overclock-underclock CPU & GPU, can install apps that ask root permission and also can access system files to remove bloatware or tweak it.
LG Optimus G Pro E980 is a 5.5 inch Android smartphone that comes with about 401 ppi density. The True Full HD IPS Plus LCD capacitive touchscreen make it one of the must have Android smartphone in this year. Some other key features of LG Optimus G Pro E980 is Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait 300 CPU, Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 chipset and Adreno 320 GPU. With root and CWM recovery you can use this hardware portfolio properly.
This tutorial is only for LG Optimus G Pro E980. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Though rooting usually not harmful for your device data but if you are overly cautious then follow below backup instruction.
- SMS & Call Log
- Contacts & Settings
- Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to Internal/External SD card.
APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- WhatsApp Messenger
- Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power, otherwise your device may see a hard brick if device turn off during installation.
- You already have USB Driver Installed for LG Optimus G Pro E980 in your PC.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and mobile.
- This tutorial required a Windows OS powered computer.
How To Root LG Optimus G Pro E980
- Unzip downloaded E980-UniversalRoot.zip file at a convenient location in your PC.
- Make sure your phone is in Charge Only mode. Now connect it to your computer and give it say 3 minutes before going to the next step.
- Open the extracted folder and run CurrentRoot.bat by double clicking on it.
- When it prompts you to go to MTP mode, do so in the same place Charge Only was found. Now wait at least 3 minutes. This will insure that your computer has seen your phone as a MTP device Don’t rush, the root may fail due to this!
- Now hit any key to continue.
- Once done the phone will reboot. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
Congrats! You now own a rooted LG Optimus G Pro E980.
How To Install CWM Recovery on LG Optimus G Pro E980
Once you rooted your LG Optimus G Pro E980, you can then easily install CWM recovery latest supported version. To do so, install FreeGee Free version from Play Store.
Once you installed the app, run it and click on “Unlock my phone” to start the unlock process. It will ask you if you want to disable lge security or not. Please note to disable the LG Security it’s dependent on your sw version.
That’s it! You now have a rooted LG Optimus G Pro E980 with CWM recovery installed on it. You can now easily installed app that ask root access or can flash custom ROMs.