How To Root Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 & Install ClockworkMod Recovery
The regular version of Galaxy S4 Mini have model number I9190 where the LTE variant feature model number I9195. Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is introduced for those who have a tight budget and can’t buy Galaxy S4; yet want to enjoy features of it. Today, we going to root Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 and then flash ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on it.
A rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 comes with various benefits including the ability to access system files and installing apps that ask root permission. On the other hand, CWM recovery offer you much more features than stock recovery including the ability to flash ROMs, MODs, Themes and Icon packs. Both root and CWM recovery can be pushed by flashing tar packages using Odin.
This tutorial is only for Galaxy S4 Mini, model number I9195. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. Also, we are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Backup Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 Data & Settings:
Though rooting usually not harmful for your device data but if you are overly cautious then follow below backup instruction.
- SMS & Call Log
- Contacts & Settings
- Images, Songs, Videos, Files
- APN and MMS Settings – Note down from the path “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- WhatsApp Messenger
Note: You can always backup your device data using Kies but we recommend you to backup data manually, so that if situation demand then you can easily transfer your data to any other manufacturer Android powered device such as HTC One or Xperia Z.
Download Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 USB Drivers
You need to connect your Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 to computer so that Odin can access it. However, it won’t be possible until you have proper driver installed. Technically, after you connect your device to Windows PC for first time, it will download and install the required driver.
Few More Important Tips!
- Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power, otherwise your device may see a hard brick if device turn off during installation.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and mobile.
- This installation guide use ODIN utility which work only in Windows OS. If you use Linux OS (such as Ubuntu) or Mac OS then use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN in your OS.
If you followed everything that we mentioned above, you are ready to move into next stage of this guide where the actual flashing process begin.
The step-by-step guide is pretty easy to follow. Download both tar packages and Odin then flash both tar package by following below guide .
- To run ODIN as Administrator you should right click on .exe file then click on ‘Run as administrator’ from context menu. Windows XP or lower don’t require this.
- If you see “MD5 hash value is invalid” in Odin message box then you need to re-download the firmware.
Now you have learned every necessary details that we should know before rooting Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 and flashing ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on it. So, without further ado here is the tutorial for you:
File Required(Download by clicking on it)
How to Root Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 & Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery On It
- Extract kernel and recovery zip file that you downloaded already from above link, you will get .tar.md5 files.
- Extract Odin zip file and you will get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
- Power off your phone. Wait 5-6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Now, put the Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Home buttons while pressing the Power button. A Warning! screen will come up; press Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- Now run Odin3 v3.07.exe (see Step 2) as an Administrator because Admin privileges is required to complete the process smoothly.
- Now connect your Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 with your PC using USB cable. A message will arrive under Odin’s message box in the bottom left saying “Added!!”. If you don’t get the same then you should try another USB port (try USB port located in back in your desktop PC). If that too don’t work then you should then reinstall the driver. If you successfully see the “Added!!” message in Odin then you are ready to go in next step. You should also see COM port with a number in Yellow if you successfully added your device.
- Click the PDA Button, and select the GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5 file here.
- In Odin window, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are only selected.
- Double check everything that we mentioned in Step 7 & Step 8 above. Now, once satisfied hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
- Once flashing completed, your phone will restart and soon you will see a PASS message with green background in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin. Now repeat 4 to 9 again but choose recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-serranoltexx.tar.md5 in step 7.
- After flashing of CWM recovery is finished, power off your phone. Now boot into recovery by pressing and holding home, volume up and power. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select yes.
- When your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 booted to system, install SuperSU app from play store and you are done.
Congrats! Your Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9195 is now rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed.