Google Nexus 4 : Upgrade with Android 6.0 CM13 Nightlies ROM
Google Nexus 4 users can now upgrade their device to Android 6.0 CM13 custom ROM. CM 13 is based on AOSP which released latest version Android 6.0 Noghtlies ROM. This release has all the marshmallow features and other features developed by CyanogenMod group. Since google doesn’t support Google Nexus 4 Model anymore so users have to look elsewhere. If you are interested please go through the post.
Important Note: This Firmware is taken from a very reliable developer from XDA Forum and is completely safe to install on your device. Yet we would advice you to go for this upgrade at your own risk as neither this site nor the author can be held responsible for any problem in upgradation such as bricking of Device. However, this happens only in rare cases. Also you would lose warranty of the hardware(if any) after upgrade.
To make it easier for layman users, the entire upgradation process has been divided into two easy to understand parts:
- Pre-Upgradation Steps.
- Final Upgradation Steps.
Please follow all the steps with extra care and do not miss even a single step.
- First of all make sure that your device is GOOGLE NEXUS 4 (Check at Settings> About Phone). Donot try to run this upgrade on any other version.
- Also, this upgrade can only be executed on unlocked boot loader devices, and is not for devices which have model number GOOGLE NEXUS 4 only.
- We would advice the users to first take a complete backup of the existing ROM by using Nandroid Backup and Restore App.
- Important data such as SMS, Contacts etc.can also be backed-up on PC or any other device .
- Also make sure that your GOOGLE NEXUS 4 is at-least 75% charged as the upgrade will be done on the battery power.
- Next, we would recommend to disable all the anti-virus(if any) which are running on your Device. Also uninstall the Kies package from the computer which will be used to upgrade.
- Now th important step,enable USB Debugging on your cellphone (The option available at Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging ).
- With this, your GOOGLE NEXUS 4 is now ready for upgradation to Marshmallow.
- First of all, download the Android 6.0 CM 13 Nightlies ROM on your Laptop/PC.
- Also download Google Apps package.
- After the download is done, transfer the Zipped folder to the SD card using USB cable.
- Now disconnect you device from PC/Laptop and turn it off (so that it can be started into recovery mode).
- Now Press Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). Keeping holding them and switch on your Mobile using Power Key.
- Your device will now boot in recovery mode. If it is not, try repeating the above steps.
- Now in the recovery mode, Select “Wipe data/factory reset” >> “Wipe Cache partition”.
- Then select “install zip from sd card” >> “choose zip from internal sd card”.
- Then select the zipped folder you’ve downloaded and your Phone will start upgrading.
- Repeat same steps for Google Apps.
- After the upgrade is completed, just restart your cellphone.
With this, you’ve successfully upgraded to Android 6.0 CM 13 Nightlies Custom ROM. Enjoy your cellphone with more efficiency. If you face any issues during upgradation, feel free to ask us in the forn of comments below.