Samsung Galaxy S3 users have received upgrade to custom ROMs more than any other cellphone. This is so because it is one of the best Android based smartphone on higher end. Also, Galaxy S3 has no competition apart from one or two such as HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Here is yet another upgrade for Galaxy S3 in the form of a step by step guide which will allow you to control your Galaxy S3 in a better way. Also, the rooted Galaxy S3 is more efficient than a normal unrooted Galaxy S3.
Important Note: This Firmware is a custom ROM. But it is taken from a very well known and reliable developer from XDA Forum. The firmware is completely safe to be installed. But still, we would advice you to go for this upgrade at your own risk as neither this site nor the author can be held responsible for any problem in upgradation such as bricking of Device. However, this happens only in rare cases.Also you would lose warranty of the hardware(if any) after upgrade.
To make it easier for Galaxy S3 I747M users to upgrade your device, the entire upgradation process has been divided into two easy to understand parts:
- Pre-Upgradation Steps.
- Final Upgradation Steps.
Please follow all the steps with extra care and don’t miss even a single step. If you get stuck at any step, please donot proceed further.
Pre-Upgradation Steps for Galaxy S3
- Before starting the upgrade process, make sure that your device is Galaxy S3 I747M (This can be checked at Settings> About ). Please do not upgrade on any other cellphone.
- The first step is to take complete backup of the existing ROM by using Nandroid Backup and Restore App.
- Also backup your important data such as SMS, Contacts etc. on PC using one of the backup Apps available at Google Play Store.
- Also make sure that your smartphone i.e. Galaxy S3 I747M is at-least 75% charged as the upgrade will be done on the battery power.
- Next, we would recommend to disable all the anti-virus(if any) which are running on your Device and PC. If you use Kies, please uninstall it.
- Now the most important step,enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S3 I747M(The option available at Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging ).
- With this, your Galaxy S3 M440S is now ready for upgradation to I747M UMBLL1 Jelly Bean Firmware.
Final Upgradation Steps for Galaxy S3
- For final upgrade, you need to install the following two files:
1. Android 4.1.1 I747MUMBLL1 for Galaxy S3 I747M [The firmware file]
2. Odin 3.07 [The tool to be used for upgrade]
- First extract the Firmware Zip file which you’ve downloaded on your PC.
- The file you’ve downloaded would be a file of TAR extension.
- Now extract the Odin Zip file in a separate folder. This will contain Odin 3 v3.07.exe file and some support files.
- Now power off your Galaxy S3.
- Now restart your Galaxy S3 in debugging mode (By pressing volume down key and home key together while switching on).
- This will give you a warning and press Volume down to enter debugging mode.
- Now right click the Odin3 v3.07.exe which was extracted earlier and select Run as Administrator.
- Now connect you Galaxy S3 to PC using original USB cable. This will pop=up a message in Odin saying “Added!!”.
- You’ll also see COM port with a number written in Yellow which means the device is ready to be upgraded and rooted.
- Now Click the PDA Tab in Odin, and select the tar file from the above extracted folder.
- Also make sure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin.
- When done with all above process steps, click START button.
- This will start flashing your phone. Once it is completed, phone will restart automatically.
- Once PASS message appear in Odin, remove Galaxy S3 from USB connection.
And with this your Galaxy S3 is rooted and have custom Jellybean firmware. Now enjoy any App on it which needs root permission. If you face an issue, feel free to raise it in comments below and we’ll reply.